For All Merriam-Webster Web Sites, Services and Applications
Advertising-Supported and Subscription, Consumer and Institutional
Effective: October 17, 2019
COPPA Compliance: In accordance with the Federal Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA), we will never knowingly solicit, nor will we accept, personally identifiable information from users known to be under thirteen (13) years of age without the consent of their educational institution or the child's parent or guardian. If an educational institution with students that are under thirteen (13) years of age uses our Services, the educational institution also may provide us with personally identifiable information about its students. We use student information to provide the Services to the educational institution and its students, consistent with our Merriam-Webster Unabridged Privacy Notice.
Links to Third-Party Websites: The Services may contain links to third-party websites that are not owned or controlled by us. We have no control over, and assume no responsibility for, the content, privacy policies, or practices of any third-party websites.
User Login: In order to use our mobile-application Services or access certain features of our Merriam-Webster Online (workandtravel.com.cn) Service, including the 'Save Word' and 'Game' features, you will have to register with us by providing your email address and creating a username and password. When registering your account, please create a username that you like and will find easy to remember. We do not allow usernames that include profane or obscene language, third-party trademarks, email or web addresses, or the words "Merriam-Webster," and your username must comply with our Username Policy.
Once registered with us, please go to 'Settings' if you prefer to turnoff the 'recent lookup' feature associated with your account. If you want to delete the email and all other information associated with your account, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our information collection and use policies with respect to the privacy of personal information provided by you when registering with us are set forth in our Privacy Notice. You acknowledge and agree that between you and Merriam-Webster, you are solely responsible for the accuracy and content of your personal information, and agree to keep it up to date.
Ownership: The content on the Services is the property of Merriam-Webster and its affiliated companies or licensors, and is protected by international copyright, patent, and trademark laws.
Advertising: Advertisements, promotions, and marketing messages may appear on the Services from time to time, unless you or your institution has a subscription-based Service.
If you want to reproduce or use content for any purpose or in any manner other than as described above, you will need Merriam-Webster's permission. Requests should be directed to this syndication form.
User Generated Content: This section applies to the extent we have enabled posting of user-submitted comments, audio, video, text or other materials in the Services or otherwise allow you to send information or materials through the Services (collectively, “UGC”).
You are responsible for your own UGC and are responsible for the consequences of sending it through the Services. You must not do the following things: send or post UGC that is copyrighted, unless you are the copyright owner or have the permission of the copyright owner to post it; send or post UGC that reveals trade secrets, unless you own them or have the permission of the owner; send or post UGC that infringes on any other intellectual property rights of others or on the privacy or publicity rights of others or is otherwise unlawful; send or post UGC that is obscene, defamatory, threatening, harassing, abusive, hateful or embarrassing to any other person or entity; send or post a sexually-explicit image; send or post advertisements or solicitations of business; send or post chain letters or the like; or impersonate another person.
By sending or posting UGC, you warrant and represent that you own or otherwise control all of the rights to the content, and use of your UGC by Merriam-Webster will not infringe or violate the rights of any third party. By sending UGC, you automatically grant to Merriam-Webster a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, edit, translate, distribute, perform, and display it alone or as part of other works in any form, media, or technology, whether now known or hereafter developed, and to sublicense such rights through multiple tiers of sublicensees. You retain the right to reuse your UGC as submitted to Merriam-Webster.
You may not use the Services or other communication mechanisms to sell, to trade, or for other commercial purposes. You may not send UGC through the Services that violates the rights of any third party or contains a virus or other harmful component. Nor may you use language or engage in any activity that is threatening, abusive, vulgar, discourteous, disruptive, or unlawful.
Please be aware that once you post UGC, there is the potential for the general public to read your words, even years from now. Merriam-Webster suggests that you exercise caution when posting UGC on the Services and that you not disclose personal identifiable information like your location, medical record number, financial information, etc.
Merriam-Webster does not have any obligation to monitor, edit or delete UGC, but may do so in its sole discretion. UGC including, but not limited to, the following may be deleted or edited by Merriam-Webster:
- Abusive or hurtful UGC about a commentor or another participant;
- Off-topic and redundant UGC (this includes promotion of events, groups, pages, Web sites, organizations and programs not related to or affiliated with Merriam-Webster);
- UGC that uses foul or hateful language;
- Personal attacks or defamatory statements or comments;
- UGC that violate the privacy of our users;
- UGC that is obscene, threatening, harassing, deceptive or fraudulent;
- UGC directed at children under the age of 13;
- UGC that may infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, or other intellectual or proprietary right of any party or individual; and
- UGC that violates applicable laws or regulations.
By submitting UGC, you understand and acknowledge that this information is available to the public, and that we may use this information for internal and external promotional purposes. Please note that other visitors of the Services may use your posted UGC beyond the control of Merriam-Webster. If you do not wish to have the UGC you have made available via the Services used, published, copied and/or reprinted, please do not post UGC on the Services.
Linking to the Services: Please contact Merriam-Webster when you link to the Services, so that Merriam-Webster can better understand how its content is being accessed and so that you can be contacted when changes are made to the Services that could invalidate your links. Any linking to the Services will be at your own risk and expense.
By linking to the Services, you agree that you will not:
- imply in any way, by manner of presentation of the link or otherwise, that Merriam-Webster endorses your site, products or services, or that you are affiliated with Merriam-Webster in any way;
- frame Merriam-Webster content, surround it with your own advertising or identity, or charge a fee for any link to the Services;
- link to the Services from any Web page or Web site containing libelous, obscene or criminal material, or material that infringes, violates, or advocates the infringement or violation of any third party rights; or
Disclaimer of Warranties男女色啪网站-**啪网站: THE SERVICES AND ALL INFORMATION, PRODUCTS, AND OTHER CONTENT INCLUDED IN OR ACCESSIBLE FROM THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND (EXPRESS, IMPLIED, AND STATUTORY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE), ALL OF WHICH MERRIAM-WEBSTER EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
Limitation of Liability: IN NO EVENT SHALL MERRIAM-WEBSTER, ITS DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, SHAREHOLDERS, PARENTS, SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, AGENTS AND LICENSORS, OR CONTENT PROVIDERS BE LIABLE: (i) FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THE USE, INABILITY TO USE, PERFORMANCE OR NONPERFORMANCE OF THE SERVICES, EVEN IF MERRIAM-WEBSTER WAS PREVIOUSLY ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES AND REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE IN CONTRACT, TORT, UNDER STATUTE, IN EQUITY, AT LAW, OR OTHERWISE; AND (ii) FOR ANY DAMAGES, LOSSES AND/OR CAUSES OF ACTION EXCEEDING ONE THOUSAND U.S. DOLLARS (US $1,000) IN THE AGGREGATE.
SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN DAMAGES, SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
BINDING ARBITRATION AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER
男女色啪网站-**啪网站This section applies to any dispute EXCEPT DISPUTES RELATING TO THE ENFORCEMENT OR VALIDITY OF MERRIAM-WEBSTER'S INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS. The term “dispute” means any dispute, action, or other controversy between you and Merriam-Webster or its directors, officers, shareholders, parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, licensors or content providers concerning the Services or this Agreement, whether in contract, warranty, tort, statute, regulation, ordinance, or any other legal or equitable basis. “Dispute” will be given the broadest possible meaning allowable under law.
Binding arbitration. Any dispute will be conducted exclusively by binding arbitration governed by the U.S. Federal Arbitration Act. You are giving up the right to litigate (or participate in as a party or class member) all disputes in court before a judge or jury. Instead, all disputes will be resolved before a neutral arbitrator, whose decision will be final and binding. Any court with jurisdiction over the parties may enforce the arbitrator's award.
Class action waiver. Any proceedings to resolve or litigate any dispute in any forum will be conducted solely on an individual basis. Neither you nor Merriam-Webster will seek to have any dispute heard as a class action, private attorney general action, or in any other proceeding in which either party acts or proposes to act in a representative capacity. No arbitration or proceeding will be combined with another without the prior written consent of all parties to all affected arbitrations or proceedings.
Claims or disputes must be filed within one year. To the extent permitted by law, any claim or dispute must be filed within one year. The one-year period begins when the arbitration notice first could be filed. If such a claim or dispute is not filed within one year, it shall be permanently barred.
Opting Out of Pop Under Ads: Some of our pop-under ads are not detected by Safari and other browsers. To opt out of pop-under ads visit .
Not Advice.男女色啪网站-**啪网站 Information contained in the Services is not intended to be medical, legal, tax, financial or other advice and should not be considered medical, legal, tax, financial or other advice, nor is it intended to replace consultation with a qualified physician, attorney or other professional.
These additional terms apply to individuals who are Authorized Users of Institutional Subscriptions. Institutional Subscribers may be a business (“Business”), government agency (“Agency”), school and related facilities (“School”), college or university (“University”) or public library (“Library男女色啪网站-**啪网站”). “Authorized Users” are the following: (i) employees, agents or representatives in the case of Businesses and Agencies; (ii) students of Subscriber, its faculty members, administrators, and employed staff in the case of Schools; (iii) full or part-time students of Subscriber, its faculty members, administrators and employed staff in the case of Universities; and (iv) patrons, employees, agents or representatives in the case of Libraries.
Remote Access. Only Authorized Users are permitted to access the Services remotely. Authorized Users are (a) in the case of Schools: its students, its faculty members, administrators, and employed staff; (b) in the case of Universities: its full or part-time students, its faculty members, administrators and employed staff; (c) in the case of Businesses and Government Agencies: employees, agents and representatives; and (d) in the case of a National, State or Public Library, its Library patrons, Library customers, and Library users, employees, agents and representatives. Only these individual persons are permitted to access the Services remotely. Schools, Universities, Businesses and Government Agencies who are members of a National, State or Public Library are not Authorized Users under a Library's license agreement with Merriam-Webster.
Section 4. Legal Notices
All contents of the Services are © Merriam-Webster, Incorporated or its licensors. All rights reserved. Merriam-Webster Online (workandtravel.com.cn) is copyrighted 2015 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated. Included within the Services are:
- Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary copyright © 2015 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated
- Merriam-Webster Online Thesaurus copyright © 2015 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated
- Word of the Day copyright © 1995-2015 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated
- Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Eleventh Edition copyright © 2008 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated
- Merriam-Webster's Intermediate Thesaurus copyright © 2004 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated
- Merriam-Webster's Spanish-English Dictionary copyright © 1998 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated
- Merriam-Webster's Medical Desk Dictionary copyright © 2005 by Merriam-Webster, Incorporated
All rights reserved.
Requests for permission to use or reproduce should be mailed to: Permissions Editor, Merriam-Webster, Incorporated, P.O. Box 281, Springfield, MA 01102
Produced in the United States of America. All rights reserved.
Merriam-Webster claims no compilation copyright in images or materials that are subject to the GNU Free Documentation License or similar licenses.
男女色啪网站-**啪网站Photographs and illustrations are copyrighted by their respective owners, as noted in the credits.
A MERRIAM-WEBSTER, MERRIAM-WEBSTER, COLLEGIATE, WEBSTER'S COLLEGIATE, WEBSTER'S UNABRIDGED, WEBSTER'S THIRD NEW INTERNATIONAL AND DESIGN, MERRIAM-WEBSTER'S COLLEGIATE DICTIONARY AND DESIGN, and CIRCLE WITH NW MONOGRAM AND WEBSTER'S, are trademarks of Merriam-Webster, Incorporated. Any other marks that appear throughout the Services belong to Merriam-Webster, its affiliates, or third-party trademark owners. Except as permitted by applicable laws, you are prohibited from using any of the marks appearing on the Services without express written consent from the respective trademark owners.
Copyright Infringement Claims
男女色啪网站-**啪网站If you believe that any copyright infringement exists on any of the Services, please use the following process to notify Merriam-Webster. We will act expeditiously to remove infringing material once informed. All claims of copyright infringement should be in writing and should be directed to our Designated Agent below:
Permissions Editor Copyright Infringement
47 Federal Street
Springfield, Massachusetts 01105
Email: Permissions Editor
Your notice must contain the following information:
- Your physical or electronic signature (as either the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed or as a person authorized to act on behalf of such owner).
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single claim, a representative list of such works at that online site.
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled and information reasonably sufficient to permit Merriam-Webster to locate the material.
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit Merriam-Webster to contact you, such as an address, telephone number and, if available, an electronic mail address.
- A statement that you believe in good faith that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent or the law.
- A statement that the information in the notice is accurate and that, under penalty of perjury, you are the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed or are authorized to act on behalf of such owner.
男女色啪网站-**啪网站Merriam-Webster has a policy of terminating in appropriate circumstances the subscriptions of users who are infringers of copyrights held by others. If your material is removed or access to it is disabled and you believe in good faith that a claim has been wrongly made against you, you may submit a counter-notification to Merriam-Webster. Your counter-notification must be in writing and sent to:
Permissions Editor Copyright Infringement
47 Federal Street
Springfield, Massachusetts 01105
Email: Permissions Editor
Your counter-notification must contain the following information:
- Your physical or electronic signature.
- Identification of the material that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the material appeared before it was removed or access to it was disabled.
- A statement under penalty of perjury that you have a good faith belief that the material was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or misidentification of the material to be removed or disabled.
- Your name, address, and telephone number, and a statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of Federal District Court for the judicial district in which you are located, or if you are outside of the United States, for any judicial district in which Merriam-Webster may be found, and that you will accept service of process from the person who notified Merriam-Webster of the alleged infringement or an agent of such person.
Please see the notices here regarding specific content that may be found on our Services.